.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Talk is Cheap

When you have nothing to say

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Mourning, Moaning, and Morning

Lately, I’ve spent a lot of time bemoaning the deaths of people I don’t know.

Two days ago, an inanimate object on which I’ve become dependent died and I got even more upset.  No, it’s not one of my computers.  It is my gleaming white Ipod which has died.  I was making some useless point about the 21st century’s new media delivery paradigm, grabbed my Ipod out of my purse to punctuate, and it flew out of my hands onto the floor.  Unbeknownst to me until much later in the day, I squashed the hard-drive.  

I spent a sleepless night after discovering that fixing the hard drive costs almost as much as a new Ipod.  So I bought a new Ipod; but I’m mourning the death of this one.  I have combed the Internet looking for answers.  I may try to revive it.

What does that say about me?

Today I accompanied my sister to the dentist and witnessed her being tortured by a 30 year old sadist who refused to tell us her name lest anyone report her, she said.  I thought she was being facetious.  She wasn’t.  She was telling the truth.  

I was both appalled and afraid.  She yanked out two of my sister’s teeth with barely enough novacain.  I watched helpless as my poor sister screamed in agony.  I didn’t want her to hurt my sister any more than she was already doing; but I was incredulous.  There shouldn’t have been any pain at all.

“Why is she in so much pain?”

Silence

“Perhaps she needs more anethestic.”

Silence.

The teeth were out.  I asked again.  This time this sadist said it was the infection.  The pain medication doesn’t reach infection.  Bullshit.

I let it go.  

My sister was in shock, literally.

I tried to comfort her but also tried to keep her awake.  Talk about gruesome.  It was beyond gruesome.

The three of us went back to Sharon’s room.  I told Bonnie.  We discussed what to do.  Bonnie told the medical director.  I’ll have that woman arrested before she touches my sister again.

I’m postponing calling my dentist for a much-needed cleaning.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home